Follow Me on Pinterest!

Follow Me on Pinterest

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Dumbass of the Day (I know you like these!)

Today I announced to my bestie at work: "I think I just spoke to the dumbest women in the world just now", and that was a complete understatement. This women was an IDIOT. She had no sense of time, no sense of where she was going, who she was going to see nor what she was saying. I don't say that lightly - she was the cream of the crack pot for sure.

So anyway, just to give you a brief background on how and why I spoke to this women, every week I cover the front desk on Thursdays for our Gal Friday to take her breaks. I got this phone call from the lady that went like this:

DUMBASS: "Hello. I have a meeting with someone that Melissa set up for me and I am running 10 minutes late. I had a flat tire and now I am driving. Can you let Melissa know that I will be late?"

ME: "I'm sorry ma'am, but Melissa is gone for the rest of the day. Can you tell me who you are suppose to be meeting with?"

DUMBASS: "Well, Melissa set it up for me and it was about the Timberline program. I think it may have been someone in estimating? Please forgive me while I gather myself."

ME: "Not a problem ma'am."

This I thought to mean she was scrambling in paperwork to find the guys name, while driving and talking to me by the way. I could hear her driving so I waited patiently. And waited, and waited...for maybe like 4 minutes...hoping my other line would not ring...

ME: "Ma'am, are you still there?"

DUMBASS: "Oh, heeheehe, are you waiting for me?"

ME (this time with a bit of frustration in my voice after a 6 minute conversation that has gone no where): "Yes, ma'am. If you would provide me with the name of the gentleman that you have the meeting with, I would be happy to tell him that you will be late."

DUMBASS: "Well, like I said, Melissa set it up for me and I am not sure what his name is but it's about some issues he is having with the Timberline program."

ME: "Ma'am, we have more than 100 employees here (even though only about 30 in the office, mostly male) and many of them are male. If I don't have a name, I am not quite sure how I will figure out WHICH man you have an appointment with."

DUMBASS: "Oh. Okay."

ME: "I'll tell you what, I will keep your name right here and if anyone buzzes me or comes up front looking to see if you have arrived, I will let him know that you are running a bit late. Okay?"

And FINALLY she hung up. I could not help think to myself "Who goes to a meeting set up by someone else, not knowing who you are meeting with?". Worse than that, running late due to a flat tire...how convenient.

And the grand finale? Me laughing my ass off because she came to the office right next to mine! Can't wait to tell my co-worker tomorrow how the 'dumbest lady ever' that he overheard me talking about was the chick that was training him. What a friggin airhead!

With people like this in our business world, and worse yet, companies sending out people like this, it's no wonder businesses survive and it's probably a big reason most of them fail. What happened to the good old days when men got to know your name, your needs, your business etc before even approaching you?

So much for relationship building for the company lady. YOU get and "F". Remembering a persons name in the business world is key and not remembering it is a big no-no. How embarrassing for you. Next time do the smart thing and get your shit together before you leave your office. Write down the name of the company, address, phone number and for god sake, the person's name whom you are meeting with and what time. AND leave a little early, just in case something like this ever happens again. At least if it all really did go down like that, you will save one really important thing in the eyes of your potential customer - your face.


Over and out peeps. It's time for some sleeps. Until next time, keep it real :)

No comments:

Post a Comment