Follow Me on Pinterest!

Follow Me on Pinterest

Thursday, August 27, 2009

A Trip Down Memory Lane (Yesterday's Photos)

Well, so I am a little late on this one. I did take the photos yesterday, but had school and studies to attend to so this is getting up a day late. Just know that I am still on track for my photo of the day project.
I just love antiques. To me, there is nothing better than going into an antique shop and looking at all the wonderful things from our past. Antiques take us back to bygone eras and show us the history behind our great country and it's inhabitants and our way of life.
 
Our friend Greggy has an awesome house filled with nostalgic stuff that I just love. Toasters, chairs, lamps, a bar. He's got a little bit of it all. I just wanted you all to get a little taste of what kinds of neat things he has in his home and so I have decided to share some photos I took while visiting the other night.
This painting is one of my favorites. It was left to him by a friend who passed on. He had told the guy how much he liked the painting and the guy's sister was kind enough to let him have it. It's an actual painting of the old Arizona Motel sign and it now hangs above his couch. It's actually very large and takes up nearly half of his wall. I think I think it's a classic as I know I have seen something with a picture of this sign on it somewhere else before and I just recently saw the design in a curio shop on a picture frame in Prescott. Whatever the case, it's really awesome and I am diggin it more and more since he has put it up.
Remember some of this old stuff? Like Google, Funny Face Kool Aide stuff, Spaghetti O's and Twinkies? Or am I the only one out there that remembers these items?
Remember the old movie posters from all the 'B' movies'? Classics! Love em! Artwork back then was so awesome. Not the high tech photography stills we have today. Back then it was true art!
  
For all you closed rockers out there, he has a KISS room. Yes, a whole room. He had so many collectables of KISS at one time that his wife told him he was going to have to get rid of some of the "Kissa stuff". Half of it is now in a closet. Then again Greggy, those VERY large KISS dolls are ugly and a bit scary. I'd want them out too! This particular piece is the original artwork for a poster (I believe). He also has an original picture and pick that he took at a 1970 KISS concert, the front of an old KISS pinball machine, a clock, cups, toys, t-shirts, tennis shoes and more. HUGE Kiss fan as you can tell!
Some pieces I think never really go out of style and this has got to be one of them. The bar and couches are both classic Leopard print. He also has a classic yellow and chrome kitchen table set from the 50's (see it in the background of the photo above?). He's got an old bubble gum machine with Lil Abner on it I think. Look at those damn Zebra print chairs! Who wouldn't like them? And just to think, there are stories behind all this cool stuff. Where did it originate? Who's house was it in? Was it sold at a garage sale many, many moons ago? How the heck did it end up here in Arizona?
  
As all of you know, I collect Marilyn stuff.  I have books, pictures, calendars, Wine, (Marilyn Merlot) lighters,  T-shirts and what not. And of course he has  to have the one I piece I would love to own - the classic nude Marilyn Monroe liquor store calendar. 
 
But there is  still one piece in his collection that I love even more than Marilyn (which I had never seen before going to Greg's) and that is by far the Sputnik lamp (your leaving that one to me, right Greggy?). The Sputnik it chrome with little bulb covers made of blown glass that remind me of little star bursts. I believe this use to hang in a theater somewhere with a bunch of others. This lamp is awesome!
I just love antique stuff! Someday I want a houseful of it. I can already think of several things I would like to have in my (future) collection. Like the old lucite grapes that sit on the table (Grandma had these - does anyone still have them?). And a couple of colored glass swag lamps. But collecting takes time, money, room and a bunch of stuff I just don't have right now. Until then, at least I have my goddess rain lamp ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment